Thursday, December 8, 2011

Book Review: The Power of Six

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Despite the fact that I read a couple dozen novels a year, almost exclusively Science Fiction, I don't review them. To tell someone about a two hour movie they might like is easy, they may even add it to their rental queue, and invest the time in, but books are different. Readers take weeks, sometimes months to read, and people are very particular about it. They often have a specific genre or list of authors they follow and they are very ridged about trying new things.

I am writing about The Power of Six, because it is one of the best books I've ever read, the second book in a series of six, that I discovered because of a movie. This book is the sequel to the book/movie I am Number Four. I am one of those picky, selective readers, but this movie was so interesting to me that I had to know the whole story. I had to see what they left out of the movie and of course what happens next! The movie did pretty well, but the chances of a sequel are diminishing by the day, and the book may be the only chance you have of learning what happens to John, Sam, Sarah, and Six.

Reviewing a book is a lot harder than I thought, I keep finding myself using spoilers and nobody wants that! Instead I'll give you a brief synopsis and you can decide for yourself if it's something you want to know more about. The Power of Six starts off where The first book and the movie leave off. It details the next step in John's journey, but at the same time introduces you to another of his kind, tucked away in hiding. This book focuses less on introductions and more on the journey and purpose behind everything that has happened, but as the authors say, this is only book 2 of 6, so they by no means answer everything. You are also left with another cliffhanger that won't be resolved until book 3, The Rise of Nine, debuts in August of 2012.

Like the first, this book has everything, love, hate, action, humor, drama, aliens, war, etc. It is simply put the most interesting thing I have ever read, and I did so in 10 days. This series is incredibly intelligent and thought provoking and has even inspired me in my own writing. I have never seen or read anything like it and it has truly encompassed me. I find myself talking about it to people all the time and even as eloquent a speaker as I am, I can't describe it with any justice. You just have to see it for yourself, and I can promise you, even if it's not your style, it will open your imagination and have you feeling like a teenager again, wishing you were fighting right along side John, Sam, & Six.

1 comment: