Sunday, March 24, 2013

Clockstoppers


Starring: Jesse Bradford, French Stewart, & Paula Garces
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Clockstoppers seemed like a Back To The Future rip off to me, but I'd wanted to see the it because I am a Sci-Fi geek and it was directed by Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes. My expectations weren't very high and the story, based in Science Fiction, had the potentially of being too hard for audiences to understand. The writers decided to go another way with it and put this unique, experimental technology in the accidental hands of a teenager, and then marketed the whole package to young adults. It sounded a bit sketchy to me too and that's why it took me almost ten years to see it, but what I learned from this film, you can never judge a DVD by it's cover. Clockstoppers combines Einstein's Theory of Relativity with teenage rebellion in an action packed film that will really leave you on the edge of your seat. The story starts when a former student of Prof. George Gibbs sends him a prototype, of a watch, that speeds up your molecules to the point where it looks like everything else is standing still. Prof. Gibbs soon leaves to go on vacation when his son finds the watch and wears it out, thinking it's a normal watch. Once he learns the truth, other Clockstoppers show up to try and kill him, and that's when the film really gets going. The acting and special effects aren't really what draws you into Clockstoppers, it's the story, which throws you in every single direction and leaves you craving more. This was a film that was at the bottom of my list, that I watched because it was short and it was streaming. I was just looking for something to watch before bed, and what I found instead was a terrific Science Fiction adventure that fell way under the radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment