Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Jesse Stone: Stone Cold

Staring: Tom Selleck, Mimi Rogers, & Viola Davis
Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

I am reviewing Stone Cold first, because it is the first film in a series of seven, chronicling, Robert B. Parker's detective, Jesse Stone. I am however glad that this was not the first movie in the series I'd watched, because to be honest, if I had, I don't think I would have continued on with the other movies. Jesse Stone first appeared in 1997's Night Passage. The book was a huge success and went on to spawn ten other books, four of which were made into movies, and three original movies, co-written by Tom Selleck. Stone Cold is the first movie, but the second book. They did the second one first, because of an event that takes place, pivotal to the life of Stone. It is something newcomers to the series need to know, but it should have been added on to the end of Night Passage instead. If you haven't been reading Jesse Stone for years, like I have, this film is going to confuse you a bit. It's also not the strongest story in the set. Tom Selleck is amazing as always, and shines in a role that seems to be written for him. Playing a Detective is not something he's unfamiliar with and he comes across very strongly in every film. If you want to get into these films, (which I recommend you do), start with Night Passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment