Saturday, September 26, 2015

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation


Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Ferguson, & Simon Pegg
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Believe it or not, until now I have never seen a Mission Impossible film. While I love action films, the premise just never appealed to me, but when I heard Christopher McQuarrie would be Directing this latest one, I had to see it. McQuarrie, the brains behind Persons Unknown, always tells imaginative stories, that while aren't that believable, are still extremely entertaining. In the fifth installment of Mission Impossible, the franchise is anything but stale as it is every bit as fast paced and extreme as I thought. I was expecting the action and for Tom Cruise to play his usually arrogant self, but what I wasn't expect was just how intense and in depth the story was. There is also the villain to consider, who was so much better than I hoped he'd be. I had always thought of Mission Impossible as sort of a mix between Get Smart and James Bond, and was presently surprised to learn that I was way off base. Rogue Nation is actually a very clever story, that isn't is as comical or as over the top with espionage as I thought it would be. In fact, the only thing that really was what I expected was Tom Cruise. While he's not my favorite actor, he's not a bad one either, I just never liked the fact that every character he plays is just so full of themselves. No matter the situation, Ethan Hunt was always so sure he had all the answers and knew exactly what to do, and even when he was wrong it didn't deter him from getting right back into it. Rogue Nation taught me a lesson I never seem to get, in that you really can't judge a book by it's cover. Certain stories may appear to be one thing, but you can never know for sure unless you sit down and watch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment