Saturday, February 9, 2013

Captain America: The First Avenger


Starring: Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, & Tommy Lee Jones
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

I'm sure the regular followers of my blog are shocked to see that I gave a superhero/comic book movie a perfect rating. It is a well known fact, that while I'm a Science Fiction fanatic, I hate superheroes and comics. I wanted to see Captain America though, because I'm fascinated by the Avengers. I really can't see how all those big stars are going to work together, so I wanted to see all the films leading up to the Avengers, so I could follow along. Tommy Lee Jones, one of my favorite actors of all time, is one of the stars of this film, and I know he won't sign on to do just anything, so I knew that Captain America would at the very least be watchable. The more and more I got into Captain America, the most surprised I was by it's realism and honesty, it's not just the story of another superhero and how he's going to fit into the Avengers, it's the story of a very likeable character who wants to be something more than he is. I also loved the fact that this film took place in the 1940's as opposed to the modern era, because it gave a uniqueness to the story. I didn't feel like I was watching another Superman or Batman type of movie, I was really seeing something unique. The cast was fantastic, Chris Evans in particular, I don't know where the people who do the casting for these movies keep finding these guys, but each newcomer is better than the last. Captain America is unique and doesn't feel like a superhero out of some comic book. Comics are often based in extreme fantasy and appeal to those who want to escape their reality. Captain America was different though as he choses not to runaway, but to continually better himself, making him a uniquely remarkable character and it's those qualities that helped make a unique and remarkable film.

No comments:

Post a Comment