Monday, October 6, 2014

I Spit On Your Grave 2


Starring: Jemma Dallender, Yavor Baharov, & Joe Absolom
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

The sequel to 2010's remake of I Spit On Your Grave, features a very similar storyline, however it takes torture and gore to whole other level. Unlike many Horror fans, I love blood and gore, but there has to be a line, and this film crossed it early and often. I've seen thousands of movies and a good portion of my collection is Horror, so I thought I'd seen it all, then comes this film. Using blood, puss, feces, and extreme genital mutilation, I Spit On Your Grave 2 is so extreme, that even I was wincing and turning away from the screen. The story is almost identical to the first, as a young woman is abducted, raped, tortured, and left for dead, but she survives and plans her brutal revenge. The first film took place in a cabin in the woods, while this one features a girl abducted by human traffickers and brought to Belarus. Other than the location and the extreme depravity, these films are nearly identical, yet the sequel gets two stars less than it's predecessor because it is much too long and it really is vile. I understand that Horror is a very hard genre to develop original ideas in, and I also understand that in order to stand out, one director is always trying to out do the other, but this movie is so beyond disgusting that it makes the Saw movies look like a Disney production. As for the cast, it is almost completely comprised of newcomers, and unlike the first there really isn't a whole lot of dialogue. Jemma Dallender stars, and while I appreciate that even pretending to have some of those things done to you must be rough, she really shows no personality. She's a victim from the second the film starts and transforms into a psychopath who simply repeats her captures lines to them as she tortures them back. The 2010 remake had a good story, was well thought out, and while it was pretty violent, it was within reason. I Spit On Your Grave 2 is nothing more than a snuff film, with scenes of things that people should never see. The first film was a must see movie, but as is often the case, you can really skip the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment