Sunday, April 20, 2014

Death At A Funeral (2010)


Starring: Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, & Zoe Saldana
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Death At A Funeral is a remake of a 2007 British comedy by the same name, and is usually not the type of film I go for. For starters, I hate Chris Rock, and I really couldn't see a film about a funeral being all that funny. The previews were a riot and I love Martin Lawrence, so I decide to give it a try and was once again was taught that you can't judge a book by it's cover. This film turned out to be one of the funniest I've seen in a long time. It's a solemn day for Aaron and Brian, as they prepare to lay their father to rest. They expect it to be a small, simple ceremony, but they are soon reminded of why their family only gets together at weddings and funerals. A series of unbelievable and hysterical events keep disrupting the service, which include, but are not limited to, a gay midget, a guest tripping on acid, and a crotchety old man that really has to poop. I'm not surprised that I liked this film as much as I did, but I was surprised by the reasons why I liked it. You'd think an R rated film staring Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence would be raunchy as hell and way over the top, and it was, but not because of either of them. Rock and Lawrence were actually fairly toned down in this film and it was the large cast of supporting characters who really make the film. Danny Glover is amazing as Uncle Russell, an old timer who hates everyone and isn't afraid to run his mouth. James Marsden is equally as good, as the hated white boy friend, who takes what he thinks is Valium to calm down before the service. Death At A Funeral is absolutely hysterical and full of non-stop ridiculousness, if this film doesn't make you laugh, there is most definitely something wrong with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment