Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Starving Games


Starring: Maiara Walsh, Cody Christian, & Brant Daugherty
Rating: 1 out of 5 stars

In the 1970's, Mel Brooks and Monty Python made spoof films a fixture in American movie theaters. In the years that have followed, we've even seen franchises like, Scary Movie, Date Movie, Epic Movie, and Superhero Movie, but when was the last time you saw a spoof that was actually any good? Because of my love of the Hunger Games, I actually gave it's spoof a chance and I'm sorry I did. There were a lot of things here that could have been made fun of, but they weren't. The film gets so desperate that they actually turn to Avatar, The Avengers, and the action star of the Expendables, to make the thing long enough to be a full length film. I understand that the purpose behind spoof films is to be so ridiculous, that people laugh at how stupid it is, but there is a point where it is so beyond stupid and childish, that no one finds it funny anymore. The Starving Games quickly crosses this line and doesn't go back. It's a comedy making fun of one of my favorite series of all-time, a series I know like the back of my hand, and I hardly laughed. The only thing this film does well is cast actors who closely resemble the cast of the Hunger Games franchise. Beyond that, the acting is terrible, the jokes wouldn't even make children laugh, and the story is so out there, that eventually you're not even sure what they are doing. While spoofing big movies has become big business, this one does nothing but annoy everyone who was dumb enough to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment