Friday, September 28, 2012

The Tall Man (2012)


Starring: Jessica Biel, Jodelle Ferland, & William Davis
Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars

The Tall Man tries very hard to be something it's not, a Stephen King story. Parts of this film reek with King's influence, but I don't think he'd be all that thrilled about it. When the film first started I thought it was a pretty good movie, but by the end I was just confused. The story follows a local resident in the town of Cold Rock, who has taken over her husband's medical practice after he passed away. That resident is played by Jessica Biel, whose performance and looks are really the only reason to watch this movie. In the town of Cold Rock, the children have been disappearing without a trace and the only thing people have seen is a tall man, dressed in black, leaving the scene. Some people say he's an urban legend, while others claim to have witnessed his abductions, and the whole town is terrified. I found it kind of funny that in a town crippled by fear, not knowing whose child could be next, the kids parents, let them ride their bikes to the store and let them play alone in the fields, it's just one of many parts of this film that just off. As I said, the beginning of this film is terrific, but then it gets weirder and weirder and builds to a conclusion that doesn't make any damn sense! I know this must of have been someone's passion and that they spent years developing it, but before you released it to the public, did you bother to watch it? Jessica Biel is sexy and a terrific actress who is way too good to be doing shitty b-movies like this. If you're a die-hard fan, check it out, she's great, but if you're not, I'd definitely stay away from this one.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the trailer for this movie a while ago on my xBox. I went to a friend’s house for movie night last night and this is the movie he rented. We both have Blockbuster @ Home so he added the movie to his queue and it showed up in the mail. So despite being a little put off by this movie, I agreed to watch it with him because he’s a huge fan of Jessica Biel. I have to agree that this is not a good movie. It is very confusing and the eventual explanation of what happens when the kids go missing doesn’t make any sense. The genre that it’s cast in doesn’t fit either. The best part about this movie isn’t the movie at all but rather the fact that we got it so quickly through Blockbuster. We both work at DISH so we’ve been using the service for a while. Is this the worst movie I’ve ever seen? No, it isn’t but this isn’t one I would ever buy and I probably won’t watch it again. I definitely agree with your rating score of 2 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i watched the movie and i really loved it! it may be confusing,and its definetly not a horror,but i loved the twists and plot!it actually had something to say,unlike the other stupid horrors i watch.i believe it needs more rating for the plot alone!besides,the plot was something i believe should happen so i was really surprised too see it in a movie

    ReplyDelete